For a recent project I was searching tutorials for adding a metallic effect to text and I found that most tutorials have a lot of unnecessary steps. So I’m going to tell you the simplest way to add a metallic effect to text.
- Open an illustrator fill, any size you want.
- Click on the type tool and choose a font (in order for this to show up you have to choose a bold font)
- Type out whatever word or phrase you want.
- Click on the rectangle tool and make a rectangle the same size as your text box.
- With the rectangle selected scroll to the drop down menu at the top and click on window.
- In the window menu, scroll down to till you see swatch libraries.
- Within the swatch library scroll over gradient and in that category you will see the option of metals.
- Click on metals and choose the metal gradient that you want.
- Select the text and place it over the rectangle that you just added the gradient to. (make sure that the text is on top of the rectangle)
- Using the selection tool select both objects together and make a clipping mask under object in the drop down box.
Editing Effect and Other Color Choices
Here is a video to show you how you can edit the metallic gradient and other metal gradient options you can choose from.
Here is a link to some other work that I’ve done! Let me know if you would like a tutorial of any of that work.